Friday, April 25, 2008

Partners in Crime



Today for the first time ever Anna rode with her brother in the play car grocery cart at the commissary, and it opened a whole new world to me. She loved it; Pete loved it, and I loved it too! I've always kept her in her infant carrier until today (no wonder my arm always goes numb after I've been shopping). Today she was like a cage bird set free. Waving and laughing and enjoying the view. Her brother loved the company! He had a new little person to entertain and to laugh at all of his antics. Those two are two peas in a pod. Pete's first question to me when he wakes up is usually where's Anna. If Anna wakes up before Peter and I take her to get Peter, she'll start squealing before we can even get in the door.

I love watching this chemistry play out before my very eyes . . . these two little people becoming the best of friends . . . because it reminds me of one of my best friends growing up: my older brother, Eric. Erin, the oldest, was busy at school being our role model and blazing the trail for us (he, to this day is one of my greatest heros, mentors and friends but we'll save that for a future blog), but Eric and I were inseperable for a different reason. I was his shadow, partner in crime, and little buddy. He helped me escape from pre-school during naptime to go swing on the swings, and he got me out of Sunday school at Glen Eyrie to make a fort in the woods. He taught me how to fly (too bad that incident ended up at the ER) and how to catch frogs in the creek at Grandpa's farm. His friends were my friends and my friends were his friends (although sometimes my friends were my friends so they could be his friends:)... Yes I treasure the memories with Eric and that's why I thank God for this time to savor with Peter and Anna because I'm reliving those precious moments through them.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I remember how much you used to talk about your brothers. :)

Leah said...

This is the best part of having them close in age! Nicole and Joshua are inseparable. They are the definition of "Monkey See, Monkey Do." It will only get more interesting as your two get older! My favorite is when one of them will spontaneously look at the other and say, "I love you, Nicole" (or Joshua, depending on who the affectionate one is that day). Hope you guys have a great day!
Love, Leah